“So what’s the big deal?” “Aren’t you making too much about health and this whole Bod 4 God thing?” This is the push back I get from time to time and you will too as you commit to a Bod 4 God lifestyle.
If you believe diet & exercise are not that big of a deal consider:
- The leading killers of Americans are Heart disease, Cancer and Strokes – all of which are affected by diet and exercise[i]
- 70% of American’s are overweight the including 36% of Americans that are obese.[ii]
- Sugar affects your brain like heroin . “Researchers say that sugar and the taste of sweet is said to stimulate the brain by activating beta endorphin receptor sites, the same chemicals activated in the brain by the ingestion of heroin and morphine.[iii]
- Over 8 million American have eating disorders which is actually higher as many never talk about it and only 1 in ten receives treatment.
- “Binge eating disorder (BED) is the most common eating disorder in the United States” [iv]
The sources are listed below, but please do your own research on these topics and see what you find. I believe diet, exercise and a Bod 4 God lifestyle are a big deal!
Personally I don’t want to miss is the fact that every day there are two competing agendas going on for my life.
“The thief does not come except to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly.” John 10:10
Who is the thief Jesus is referring? It’s another descriptor for Satan.
When you woke up this morning, Satan had an agenda for your life. And Jesus had an agenda for your life. These two agendas are very different. They are competing agendas.
Satan said to you today, “Bad morning! You stink. Let’s get busy. I want to steal from you today. I want to kill you today. I want to destroy you today.”
Jesus said, “Good morning. I love you! Today want to give you life. I want to give you a life more abundant!”
These are very different agendas, aren’t they?
Now let’s apply this to our bodies, diet and lifestyle. Let’s look at this in a deeper way.
Satan doesn’t care what he uses to accomplish his goal for your life as long as he is successful.
He is going to use whatever will work.
- If he can get you hooked on porn, great! It will steal from you!
- If he can get you hooked on tobacco. Wonderful, it will destroy you!
- If he can get you hooked alcohol. Mission accomplished! It will kill you and others.
For some of us—me, in particular—he couldn’t get me addicted to alcohol, marijuana, or pornography. They were fun in my past but not addicting to me.
But didn’t need to get me hooked on those things. It wasn’t necessary. He was able to do what he wanted to do in my life using food addictions: sugar, caffeine and overeating.
As I sit overweight, with my blood pressure rising, my arteries clogging, my heart getting unhealthier and lacking energy… It hit me!
What was he doing? He was stealing from me. He was killing me. He was destroying me one cookie or piece of pie at time.
And as I surrender my fork to God guess what happens? I start losing weight. I start feeling better.
I hope you will realize there is another agenda for your life as I have. There is also a more abundant life. Doesn’t that sound good to live a more abundant life?
When I think about the abundant life Jesus has for me, it inspires me!
The next few posts will help us understand about inspiration. Inspiration is important because it propels us forward.
If we have a strong enough “WHY” any “WHAT’ is possible!
[iii]^ Yamamoto, Takashi (May 2003). “Brain mechanisms of sweetness and palatability of sugars”. Nutrition Reviews 61 (Supplement S5): S5–S9. PMID 12828186. Or http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction
Steve Reyolds, Bod 4 God
For more about Bod 4 God, go to www.Bod4God.org